Donald Trump Says No Talks Planned With Iran Amid Dispute Over Strait of Hormuz
August 19, 2026. 14:00 • 2 min
• 162
WASHINGTON–TEHRAN, August 19. /Dunyo IA/. U.S. President Donald Trump said no talks with Iran were taking place or planned, while Tehran maintained that the Strait of Hormuz remained closed to shipping, reports Dunyo IA correspondent, citing “Reuters.”
“There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran,” Donald Trump wrote on “Truth Social.” He said the U.S. naval blockade remained in force, while the strait was open and its sea mines had been cleared or destroyed.
Iran’s chief negotiator, Mohammad-Bagher Ghalibaf, said the strait would remain closed until Washington met the conditions of an interim agreement, including ending the blockade and lifting oil sanctions.
The diplomatic deadlock followed the expiration of a 60-day period set for reaching an agreement on Iran’s nuclear program and U.S. sanctions.
A day earlier, U.S. special envoy Jared Kushner said talks were continuing and had become more active. Tehran has also said it remains open to dialogue but rejects negotiations on terms it considers a surrender.
Meanwhile, the UAE reported two ballistic missiles launched from Iran that, according to its assessment, were targeting maritime traffic; both fell into the sea. Tehran called the statement “baseless.” The UK Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) also reported that an unknown projectile struck a vessel as it was leaving the Strait of Hormuz.
Shipping traffic through the strait remains extremely low, with preliminary data showing only a small number of vessels crossed it on August 17. A U.S. administration source told “Reuters” that Washington is also considering increased economic pressure on Tehran, including new sanctions and other measures in the coming weeks and months.
Photo credit: Reuters
Latest News
See all